Bartholomew J. Dalton
Medical Malpractice, Product Liability, Pharmaceutical Liability, Construction Liability, Wrongful Death, Accidents at Work, Birth Injuries, Brain and Spinal Injuries, Burn Injuries, Civil Rights, Clerical Sexual Abuse, Commercials and Business Litigation, Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse, Premises Liability, Sports and Recreation Injuries, Personal Injury
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, July 6, 1952
University of Tulsa, J.D., 1977, St. Joseph's College, B.A., 1974
1978, Delaware; 1979, U.S. District Court, District of Delaware and U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit; 2009, District of Columbia
- 2015: Best Lawyers, Lawyer of the Year, Personal Injury Litigation, Wilmington, Delaware
- 2014: Best Lawyers, Lawyer of the Year, Medical Malpractice, Wilmington, Delaware
- 1993 - 2014: Listed in Best Lawyers in America
- 1998 - 2014: Delaware Today Magazine - Best Lawyers in Delaware Medical Malpractice, Personal Injury
- 2012: Best Lawyers, Lawyer of the Year, Personal Injury Litigation, Wilmington, Delaware
- 2009: Best Lawyers, Lawyer of the Year 2009, Personal Injury Litigation, Wilmington, Delaware
- 2009: Delaware Today Magazine, Top Medical Malpractice Lawyer in Delaware
- 2007 - 2014: Philadelphia Magazine "Super Lawyers" Edition Top Ten Lawyers in Delaware
- 1977: University of Tulsa Law School, Order of the Curule Chair for Academic Excellence
- Delaware Bar Association;
- Delaware Trial Lawyers Association (President, 2002-2003; 1998 - 00 State ATLA Delegate, 1998 - 99 Board Member, 1991 CLE Chairman, 1990 Board Member);
- 2014 - 2015: Executive Committee, Treasurer, American College of Trial Lawyers;
- 2009 - 2013: Board of Regents, American College of Trial Lawyers;
- 2009: Litigation Counsel of America
- State Chair 2005 - 2007: American College of Trial Lawyers;
- 2004: Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- 2003: Fellow, International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- American Association of Justice;
- Supreme Court Historical Society;
- Litigation Counsel of America;
- 1976 - 1977: University of Tulsa Law Review.
- 2000 - Present: Dalton & Associates, P.A., Plaintiff Medical Malpractice, Personal Injury, and Clerical Sexual Abuse;
- 1987 - 2000: Partner, Brandt and Dalton, P.A., Plaintiff Medical Malpractice and Personal Injury;
- 1983 - 1987: Chief Deputy Attorney General, Delaware Department of Justice;
- 1981 - 1983: Associate, Brandt and Benson, P.A., General Civil Practice;
- 1977 - 1981: Deputy Attorney General, Delaware Department of Justice (1977: Juvenile/Family Court, 1978: Trial Division, 1980 - 81: Rape Unit).
Career History and Related Activities
- 2011 - The Superior Court Civil Rules Advisory Committee
- 2006 - Present: Adjunct Professor of Law, Widener University School of Law;
- 2004 - Present: Board of Directors, Wilmington Head Start;
- 2007 - 2008: Special Committee of the Superior Court on Toxic Torts;
- 2002 - 2006: Member, Delaware House of Representatives Task Force on Medical Malpractice Liability;.
- 2000, 1996: Chairman, Governor's Task Force on Gander Hill Prison;
- 1983 - 1987: Member, Delaware Supreme Court Rules Committee;
- Member, University of Tulsa Law Review, 1976-1977.
- Volunteer, Guardian Ad Litum Office of the Child Advocate.
- Co-Founder and Publisher, Delaware Law Monthly, 1978-2000;
- Editor, Delaware Corporate Law Monthly Packard Press, 1986-1988;
- Author: "Representing Plaintiffs in Cancer Cases," Advocate (DE), Winter 1994-95;
- Editorial Board, Delaware Law Weekly, 1999
- "Closing Argument," Advocate (DE), Summer 2000;
- "Representing Plaintiffs in Medical Malpractice Litigation," Inside The Minds: Domestic and International Litigation Strategies. Asparatore Book, 2007. 7 - 15;
- "Courtroom Stategies in Medical Malpractice Cases," Inside the Minds: Courtroom Stategies. Aspatore Books, 2008. 49 -62.
- "Reflections on Expert Witnesses," Trial Magazine, May 2008.
- "Disastrous Experts - and How to Avoid Them." Trial Magazine. May 2008. 66-67.
Lectures and Presentations
- 2014: Delaware Bar Association, "Issues in Depositions"
- 2014: American College of Trial Lawyers, London, England, Introduction to Justice Stephen Breyer, United States Supreme Court
- 2014: Delaware Cardiac Group, "Malpractice Issues in Cardiology"
- 2014: Leadership Delaware, "Myths of Medical Malpractice"
- 2011 - Superior Court Judges Retreat: Joint and Several Liability
- 2010 - Johns Hopkins Hopsital "Grand Rounds" - Radiology Department: "Medical Malpractice"
- 1987 - Present: Various lectures and seminars sponsored by the Delaware Trial Lawyers, National Business Institute, Delaware Bar Association, Malpractice Insurance Adjusters Conference, Update in Cardiology Conference, American Association of Nurse Consultants and University of Delaware, on topics relating to medical malpractice, trial practice and personal injury law.
- 2004 - 2005, 2007: Delaware Healthcare Association- Medical Liability
- 2002: Delaware Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Conference - "Medical Malpractice From a Plaintiff's Perspective"
- 2000: American Association of Nurse Consultants' Annual Convention in St. Louis - "Litigating Birth Trauma cases"
- 1999: Update in Cardiology Program - "Malpractice from a Plaintiff's Perspective"
- 1998: Malpractice Insurance Adjusters Conference - "Perspectives from the Enemy"
Attorneys Click to View Profile
Here at Dalton & Associates, we combine a big firm's professionalism and know-how with a small firm's care and attentiveness to the needs of our clients.Learn More About Us
Best Lawyers in
Top 10 Lawyers in Delaware
- Philadelphia Magazine, 2009
Top Malpractice Lawyer in
Delaware - Delaware Today
Best Lawyers in America
- 1997 - 2009
Regent for Pa, De, and NJ for the
- American College of Trial Lawyers
Fellow- Litigation Counsel of
Bartholomew J. Dalton